BMWONS newsgroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd

3 posters

Go down

Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd Empty Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd

Post by Alan Coles Thu Aug 23, 2018 10:09 pm

The 2018 BMWONS Fall Colours Ride is set for the second last weekend of September.

As usual, we expect that some riders may want to ride up on Friday (September 21st) and others on Saturday (September 22nd).

We will stay at our usual spot, The Trailsman, and Amedee will contact them to block off a section of rooms depending on how many respond. This year we may be having a couple from Belgium join us if their scheduling works as planned. They have been circumnavigating North America and are trying to coordinate their schedule with ours.

Please let us know whether you will be attending or not, by responding:

• I will attend and want a room for myself
  • I will attend and want to share a room
  • I can not attend

List of those going - as of 2018-09-05:

• Amedee Aucoin
  • Bill Hayter
  • Alan Coles
  • Rick Godwin
  • Bjorn Thonhaugen
  • John Engweiler
  • Ross Evans
  • Anne Marie Evans
  • Garry Theriault
  • Wayne MacLean
  • Peter Rouleau
  • Marilyn Wright
  • Sandy MacLeod

Rooms (8 reserved) for Friday and Saturday evening @ $119+taxes/night/room (includes breakfast for two):

1. Amedee Aucoin and Bill Hayter
  2. Alan Coles and Rick Godwin
  3. Garry Theriault and ???
  4. Bjorn Thonhaugen and John Engweiler
  5. Ross Evans and Anne Marie Evans
  6. Wayne MacLean and Peter Rouleau
  7. Marilyn Wright and Sandy MacLeod
  8. ?

We have several in the "maybe" category who will have a better idea of their schedules, etc., closer to the date plus there are usually several who don't know until the last minute. My thinking is that we will have between 10-16 riders overall this year and therefore may have two or three riding groups, depending on what folks want to do.

Last edited by Alan Coles on Thu Oct 11, 2018 3:23 pm; edited 16 times in total (Reason for editing : Updated list of attendees)
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Back to top Go down

Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd Empty Re: Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd

Post by r90sLifer Sat Aug 25, 2018 8:00 am

I've reserved 8 double occupancy rooms. If we need more it's going to have to be soon as they are filling up. So if you can indicate if you are coming (or not) that would be great.
Members and guests are also free to book their own. If you do please let us know that too.
It's all on my credit card so anything that isn't spoken for 48 hours before will be let go. The ones coming will be responsible for 'settling up' as we arrive.
I doubt very much we will get a group rate at $119.00 plus tax which also includes a breakfast. they're not having a hard time filling these.
we might want to consider a meal reservation at the red barn, for example, because we found it quite busy last year (looking for a place to eat that is).
Let me know what you think.
Those are my thoughts for now,
Amedee Smile
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd Empty Re: Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd

Post by Alan Coles Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:48 pm

My sense is that folks should try to commit as early as possible to ensure a room at the Trailsman.

I have been looking at reservations for another trip to Cape Breton for either the October 6th or 13th weekends and they are already getting scarce. Some places only having a few rooms left.
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd Empty Fall ride 2018

Post by bjorn Mon Aug 27, 2018 3:22 pm

I will be going, Friday- Sunday, do not mind to share a room.

Bjorn Thonhaugen

bjorn

Number of posts : 1
Registration date : 2013-06-11

Back to top Go down

Post by r90sLifer Wed Aug 29, 2018 2:39 pm

For anyone counting,
Bill and I will share a room.
3 rooms are spoken for as of today Aug 29th.
N.B.#1
Should youwant one of these rooms and you are only there one night. Please arrange to let someone else use the room the second night, if possible, or let me know so we can change the reservation before the 72 hours deadline. We got caught with an extra room a few years ago.
N.B.#2
Another note that I have just made aware of is that starting in June the Trailsman has a restaurant.
The day we arrive they are having a tour bus as guests as well. That busload is scheduled to be in the restaurant between 4 -5pm.
After that timeframe would be a better time for us to use that facility (restaurant) if we care to do so.
I will post the menu when I get it.

I've received confirmation form the Trailsman as follows:
Hi Amedee Aucoin,

Please consider this your confirmation for your reservation at the Trailsman Motel.You have booked 8 Rooms for 2 Nights each.

Check-In: 21 Sep, 2018
Check-Out: 23 Sep, 2018

Confirmation No: 1907074

Rate Per Room/Per Night: $119:00 Plsu Tax.

We offer all our guests complimentary breakfast.

Your credit card will hold the room until 5pm at which time your card may be billed the equivalent of one nights stay for each room booked.

Please note our cancellation policy is 48 hrs prior to arrival.

Also,in the case of late arrival (after 11pm) you must notify us in advance so we can make arrangements for you (Toll Free 1-888-245-5253).

All our rooms are non-smoking by order of municipal bylaw.We ask that you step outside to smoke. Also we are a “no pets” property.

We thank you for booking with us and encourage you to contact us should you require further assistance with your travel plans.

Cheers,

Tabinda
Trailsman Motel
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Fri Aug 31, 2018 4:22 pm

We will be having guests this year for the Fall Colours Ride!

David and Veerle Vander Elst are a Belgian couple that has been circumnavigating North America since the beginning of March this year. They started in Orlando, FL and have done the South, South West and West Coast of the US along with Alaska and Western Canada so far and are now in Ontario.

I have been conversing with them since prior to their leaving Belgium and they are looking forward to meeting BMWONS Members in late September. They will be camping just up the road from us (travelling for such a long time requires a budget being stretched to the max.

You can follow their Blog here: David and Veerle's Blog
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Post by r90sLifer Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:06 am

Update: Wayne MacLean and Peter Rouleau will also be sharing a room.
Thanks Amédée
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Back to top Go down

Annual Fall Colours Ride - 2018-09-21 to 23rd Empty Dinner Menus

Post by Alan Coles Wed Sep 05, 2018 11:24 am

FYI - the Trailsman Motel now has an on-site restaurant so we have another option for dinners in addition to our traditional Red Barn venue.

To assist members in deciding which they're interested in prior to the ride itself, here are links to both menus for you to review:
The Red Barn - Menu - Facebook
The Trailsman Motel - PDF copy
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Sun Sep 16, 2018 8:14 pm

We would like all those that have indicated that they are going to do the Fall Colours Ride this year to re-confirm by 2 pm on Tuesday that you are either still going or would like to cancel your room/bed. The motel has a 72-hour cancellation policy, so those that do not let us know by then will be on the hook for the room.

The reason we are sending out this notice is two-fold. The 72-hour cancellation policy is new, and there is some rain forecast for Friday the 21st., which might prompt some folks to reflect on things.

Here is the current (2018-09-16 @ 8pm) forecast from The Weather Network for Friday, Saturday and Sunday:

Baddeck

• Friday - morning: 11C, no rain, 20%-POP (POP = probability of percipitation)
  • Friday - afternoon: 13C, ~1mm, 60%-POP
  • Friday - evening: 13C, ~5mm, 60%-POP
  • Friday - overnight: 13C, ~5-10mm, 40%-POP
  • Saturday - morning: 13C, ~1mm, 40%-POP
  • Saturday - afternoon: 20C, no rain, 20%-POP
  • Saturday - evening: 13C, no rain, 10%-POP
  • Saturday - overnight: 9C, no rain, 10%-POP
  • Sunday: 16C, no rain to <1mm

Halifax

• Friday - morning: 13C, <1mm, 30%-POP
  • Friday - afternoon:16C, ~1mm, 60%-POP
  • Sunday: 20C, <1mm, 40%-POP

Currently (all subject to change) this looks like most of the rain is Friday a little drizzle (<1mm to ~1mm) in the morning and afternoon and for Badeck just ~1mm for the afternoon with the real rainfall happening in the evening/overnight, and again ~1mm Saturday morning with a clear and warm afternoon.

If this forecast holds true, the riding should be good with some light rain Friday on the way there and then the bulk of the rain while we are at the motel. Given that, it would perhaps make sense to look at dinner on Friday evening at the Trailsman and at the Red Barn on Saturday evening.

Please let us know your thoughts.
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Thu Sep 20, 2018 2:02 pm

Well, Friday's (tomorrow's) weather looks great. Sunny, no precipitation until the evening and a high of 16C in Baddeck. Overnight Friday in Baddeck is forecast to warm (14C is the low) with rain Saturday morning. We may look at a late start on Saturday morning weather dependent.

Schedule for Friday:

Start: 9:00am
Place: Tim Hortons, Bedford Commons 36, Verdi Drive, Bedford
Route:

• Hwy-2 to Brookfield

1st Stop: 10:00 am
Place: Tim Hortons, Highway #2, Brookfield (attached to the Esso at intersection of Hwy-2 and Hwy-289)
Route:

• Hwy-289 to New Glasgow
  • Hwy-104 to Sutherlands River
  • Hwy -245 to Malignant Cove
  • Hwy-337 to Cape George Point

2nd Stop: Cape George Point - stop around noon in the area for lunch
Route:

• Hwy-337 to Greenwold
  • Hwy-104 to Port Hastings
  • Hwy-105 to the Trailsman Motel

3rd Stop: Trailsman Motel, #10003 Hwy-105, Baddeck
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down