BMWONS newsgroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Self Balancing Beemer

3 posters

Go down

Self Balancing Beemer Empty Self Balancing Beemer

Post by NSKayaker Wed Oct 12, 2016 12:18 pm

Concept bike from BMW: the Motorrad Vision Next 100, a self-balancing prototype the company showed as part of 100th anniversary celebrations. The comment about not requiring a helmet or protective gear though seems a bit ridiculous IMO.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencetech/article-3833592/BMW-presents-self-balancing-motorcycle-future.html

NSKayaker

Number of posts : 23
Registration date : 2010-02-16

Back to top Go down

Self Balancing Beemer Empty Re: Self Balancing Beemer

Post by TREE Wed Oct 12, 2016 3:00 pm

It stays upright after a head on collision ? Cool..... No helmet for me.

What were they smoking when BMW released that PR statement , unbelievably stupid for even the Germans. 
( Also remember it's the Daily Mail reporting . . .  )
TREE
TREE

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-11-17

http://www.tinyurl.com/y88wmxj

Back to top Go down

Post by NSKayaker Wed Oct 12, 2016 11:43 pm

I agree with the implied comment about the Daily Mail.  haha  

Here's similar info on CTV this evening in which "Edgar Heinrich, the design director of BMW's motorcycle division. 'Any late reaction from the driver will trigger and the vehicle will balance out.' "    IMO he must either be from the car division or it was lost in translation by referring to a motorcycle rider as a driver.   You drive a car. You ride a motorcycle.  Perhaps it's just semantics but journalists miss that point

http://www.ctvnews.ca/autos/bmw-presents-self-balancing-motorcycle-of-the-future-1.3111601

NSKayaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Thu Oct 13, 2016 5:41 pm

Oh it's not a typo or translation issue. Unfortunately, to my way of thinking, it is an issue of the lunatics running the asylum.
Www.brand.bmw-motorrad.com/en/stories/design/visoin-bike.html

Can't imagine being interested in riding what looks like a very poorly thought out styling exercise for much over 10-20 minutes. Forget about everything else on the bike and just look at the tires. Anything with that wide a cross-section will be so slow and numb in transitional handling that I just can't see the enjoyment.

Don't fool yourself into thinking that because it is a German company their products will be good. Thereare some examples to the contrary. It is the people who make good to great bikes and my feeling is that whoever designed this bike doesn't ride much or at least has never raced a bike to appreciate good dynamics and how great that feeling is.
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by TREE Mon Oct 24, 2016 11:40 am

The German car/bike industry has some interesting engineering traits.
Never admit a problem ( our final drives don't fail.... Has to be owner abuse ..... and VW getting grenaded by their emissions engineers / software engineers .)
You MUST have a PhD if you run a division or are CEO so all the fawning media can call you Dr. Klinkerkopf. Very very important. Some guys faked their creds just to get the title.  I find that habit to be borderline anal in their corporate structure.  Ja wohl.
TREE
TREE

Number of posts : 535
Registration date : 2007-11-17

http://www.tinyurl.com/y88wmxj

Back to top Go down

Post by NSKayaker Mon Oct 24, 2016 6:54 pm

Having a Ph.D. in metallurgical engineering myself, I can back TREE up on that point. LOL In fact, some of the most intelligent people I know never attended university whereas some of the most stupid I know have Ph.D.s. No common sense whatsoever. They are what I would refer to as intellectual morons. They may be great in their own tiny little niche but outside of that they are completely lost. Can you imagine a Ph.D. in mechanical engineering who couldn't even change a spark plug on his father's old Austin Mini? I can, I met the guy. And don't even mention points and condenser to him.
As my doctoral supervisor once said, a Ph.D. is only important to someone that doesn't have one. haha
Cheers,
Alan

NSKayaker

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down