BMWONS newsgroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Rembrant - Introduction

+2
Willard
Rembrant
6 posters

Go down

Rembrant - Introduction Empty Rembrant - Introduction

Post by Rembrant Sat Jan 01, 2011 2:48 pm

Hello Folks,

I met membername "Willard" a few days ago and ended up talking a bit about motorcycles, touring, etc, and here I am...lol. Just thought I'd introduce myself and say hello!!

I am happy to see there are other people out there with this so-called motorcycle additcion...lol. I suffer from it, severely. Twisted Evil

I am the proud owner of a 2008 Kawasaki Concours-14, a diablo black 2007 Kawasaki Z1000, and a 2006 Kawasaki Z1000 which is currently for sale.

Just wanted to say hi, and happy new year!!

Cheers,
Rem

Rembrant
Rembrant

Number of posts : 14
Registration date : 2011-01-01

Back to top Go down

Rembrant - Introduction Empty Re: Rembrant - Introduction

Post by Willard Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:53 pm

Welcome to the Forum and hopefully to the club.
Willard
Willard

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by r90sLifer Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:05 pm

Smile Welcome to the forum Rem. Please consider joining the club and being an active participant.
Hopefully you will join us for some events or rides, you know, to feed your addiction.
See you on the road.
Amédée
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:31 pm

Welcome to BMWONS forum; there's room for you if you're interested in joining the club.
Cheers
:^)
Dino
Dino

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Rembrant Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:47 pm

r90sLifer wrote: Smile Welcome to the forum Rem. Please consider joining the club and being an active participant.

Thanks for the warm welcome fellas, and I do plan on joining the club! Unfortunately (or fortunately...lol), motorcycling is my only hobby, so this time of year, I really suffer from "PMS", or Parked Motorcycle Syndrome...lol. True story. Cool

Here's a picture of my 08 Connie Fourteen:

Rembrant - Introduction Img_3810

I just got it this fall, but have been tinkering with her a bit...lol, so far:

Oxford Heaterz Grips
Baker Hand Wings
Sargent World Sport Seat
Aluminum rear rack from Phil's Farkels (Mono-lock for Givi top case)
Givi E55 Maxia 3 Top Case
Cee Bailey Saddlebag Liners

Soon to come...

Fresh set of Avon Storm 2 Ultras
Rostra Cruise Control
R&G Radiator Guard
Area-P Exhaust & BMC Filter

Look forward to meeting more of you guys in person!!

Cheers,
Rem pirat
Rembrant
Rembrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Dino Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Any particular reason why you chose the Connie?
Dino
Dino

Number of posts : 432
Registration date : 2007-11-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Bert Sat Jan 01, 2011 9:55 pm

Rembrant wrote: so this time of year, I really suffer from "PMS", or Parked Motorcycle Syndrome...lol.

Just take one unleaded pill twice a day and you will feel better Razz
Bert
Bert
Admin

Number of posts : 240
Registration date : 2007-11-16

https://bmwons.forumpro.fr

Back to top Go down

Post by Rembrant Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:55 am

Dino wrote:Any particular reason why you chose the Connie?
Yeah, there are several reasons actually...lol.

I had been wanting a sport-touring bike for the past couple years, or lets say, a "different" bike for the past couple years....something with a little wind protection, hard luggage, and just something more road-trip oriented.
I was thinking of possibly a V-Strom, or a Suzuki Bandit, or even a Yamaha FZ-1. But, the more I thought of it, the more I wanted something like the Concours-14....bigger, heavier, more powerful, etc. I wanted something that would plow along the highway, 2-up, with gear, with ease.

Now, I suppose a big part of the decision was that I'm kind of a Kawi guy....not 100% loyal, but it's sometimes easier to stick with what you know. I just did the valve lash check and set on the Concours, and it was very similar to doing it on my previous Kwakas.

To be honest, I didn't really even give the FJR1300, or ST1300 much of a look. I had studied, test ridden, and liked the appearance of the Concours-14 more than the others. I guess it just appealed to me more than it's two direct Japanese competitors.

Finally, there was the price....I am Scottish afterall (mostly...lol), and I can be cheap at times...lol, so that was a huge deciding factor. This bike came out of the Boston area, and after everything was said and done, it was sitting in my driveway, registered, with all taxes paid, for less than $10K.

So, I guess to sum it up...

It was "my" brand, I liked the look and styling of it, I liked the options such as adjustable windscreen, shaft drive, etc. And finally, the price, in the used market at least, the Concours-14 seems to be priced a little less than the FJR1300 and ST1300. Would I like to have a new BMW R1200RT? Hell yes...lol, but the Connie fit my budget a little better, at least while having a couple bikes. If I was to sell everything, and have just one, then a BMW would be more affordable to me.

I must say though, I am really in love with this motorcycle so far. Despite it's size and weight, it handles like a super-sport, and the power....well, it pulls like a locomotive. Even with my wife on back, it still feels fun and nimble to me. No regrets so far...lol.

Wow, I didn't mean to type all that...lol. Anyway... Rolling Eyes

Rembrant
Rembrant

Back to top Go down

Post by Willard Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:02 am

$10,000!!! Wow! What an exceptional deal.

Many of the motorcycle mags rate the Concours as the "best" bike in the big sport touring category.

Now the question remains, what are you going to do without the key fob? :-) (inside joke)
Willard
Willard

Number of posts : 587
Registration date : 2008-01-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Rembrant Sun Jan 02, 2011 11:46 am

Willard wrote:$10,000!!! Wow! What an exceptional deal.

Now the question remains, what are you going to do without the key fob? :-) (inside joke)

Hahahaha.....well, I dunno...I may have to hack into it with the wire cutters...lol.

Yeah, it worked out pretty good. Even after all the transportation costs, RIV fee, and taxes, it was just about $10K. I had been looking at used ones locally for $12K+ pre-tax.

I'm just perusing kijiji again...my wife just added getting her motorcycle licence to her 2011 "bucket list", so "we" may need a starter bike...lol.
Rembrant
Rembrant

Back to top Go down

Post by 1st Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:47 pm

Welcome aboard.
1st
1st

Number of posts : 366
Registration date : 2008-01-04