BMWONS newsgroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Spark Plugs hard to find

5 posters

Go down

Spark Plugs hard to find Empty Spark Plugs hard to find

Post by Zwerling Thu May 08, 2008 8:27 am

I have been looking for Bosch plugs, W6DC, or equivalent for the R90/6 without success in the local marketplace. Although I have seen some alternatives, the NGK and Autolite do not have removable top connectors, so if I want to use these plugs I would have to change the spark plug wire connections at the plug end or replace the wires.

I'm contemplating just popping in a new set of wires and solid-top plugs so I can get on the road, and then switch back to the originals when I get a set of Bosch plugs.

Does anyone know of a local or even Canadian source for the Bosch W6DC's, or a useable (screw-off top) alternative? It seems crazy to have to order spark plugs from the USA or UK.

Stephen

Zwerling

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Spark Plugs hard to find Empty Re: Spark Plugs hard to find

Post by pistachio Thu May 08, 2008 6:49 pm

The last time I needed Bosch plugs for my K100. I was able to special order them through NAPA. The only catch was I had to purchase a box of 10.
pistachio
pistachio

Number of posts : 27
Registration date : 2007-12-25

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Thu May 08, 2008 7:44 pm

Steve, my 60/6 takes NGK BP7ES plugs and they have removable tops. Sometimes they are a bit tight but they do unscrew. I regularly pick up spare pairs at Canadian Tire.

Chris

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by r90sLifer Thu May 08, 2008 10:29 pm

Steve ,
Smile I've tried, since 1977, the Bosch W6DC, Bosch Platinum, Champion, probably others, and find the BP7ES (even the BP6ES and the BP8ES are fine depending on the heat range you're interested in) a great plug.

The bike shops that sell the NGK's will have the removable connectors. I prefer the Motorcycle Spark plug caps that connect the the threaded portion of the plug because it seems to me to be a more positive fit. As Chris says I think that CT have these w/ the removable top connectors.

I'd stickto the existing caps and gowith the NGK, no question. Even my spark plug caps are NGK. No muss - No fuss. cheers
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Zwerling Fri May 09, 2008 8:45 am

Thanks, guys, for responding. What started this was a pair of BP7ES NGK's with solid tops that I got at the Can Tire in Bedford. Quinpool Rd store had none. My local Performance Auto guy in Tantallon called his Bosch supplier who was all out of W6DC's. It seems there is no coding for screw top or non-screw top, alas.

I held the plug's top gently in the vice and applied a wrench to the body of the plug. This allowed me to rotate the body smoothly around the central conductor!

I ended up with a pair of Champions, and the bike did start. That was last night.

I rebuilt both carbs, so I need to set them up yet -- I hope to do that later today and get a test ride in before tomorrow's rain.

Stephen

Zwerling

Number of posts : 25
Registration date : 2008-04-17

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Fri May 09, 2008 9:35 pm

NAPA told me two years ago that they no longer handle Bosch plugs so I got a couple at Ferguson Auto. When I ordered some W6DC at Ferguson Auto last summer, I was told the plug was going to be discontinued so they got in a box of 10 for me. The way I was fouling plugs though, they may not last as long as I had hoped. Other than that, the closest I have been able to come is the NGK equivalent, which doesn't have the screw off tip, or the Bosch Platinum WR70P, which seems to be one range hotter, at Canadian Tire.

Alan

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by r90sLifer Fri May 09, 2008 9:51 pm

Smile I repeat, NGK are available with the screw off tips, especially if purchased at a bike shop.
This is the way to go and I always carry a spare set. And they are the best I've run with for my R90S. Don't waste your $$ on the Bosch, they might be good for some applications/setups but I've never had great luck with them. Cool
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Fri May 09, 2008 10:16 pm

Hi Amedee,

I'm looking at an NGK BPR5ES right in front of me and it does not have a removable cap. It's an older plug, so perhaps they changed the design so the cap would be removable but I was told by the folks at Ferguson's last year, when I bought the Bosch plugs, that the NGK equivalent did not have a screw off cap and the pair they showed me didn't. Obviously, yours does, so I would suggest to anyone buying them that they check the plugs when picking them up. I found it strange that they didn't screw off as the NGK resistor ignition cap I bought needs the plugs with the screw off caps.

Alan

Number of posts : 16
Registration date : 2007-11-30

Back to top Go down

Post by Chris Sat May 10, 2008 8:11 pm

Steve, I have several spare sets of BP7ES plugs you're welcome to try if you like. I'm just up the road at 8751!
Chris

Chris

Number of posts : 11
Registration date : 2008-04-10

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down