BMWONS 2017 Ride #04 - 2017-04-29

View previous topic View next topic Go down

BMWONS 2017 Ride #04 - 2017-04-29

Post by Alan Coles on Thu Apr 27, 2017 6:00 pm

Start: 9:30 am (arrive before this departure time)
1st Stop: Il Porto Restaurant, 22808 Highway 7, Sheet Harbour (around noon)

Leg 1 (1.0 hr) - Tims (Bedford Common) to Tim Hortons, Windsor (17 Water Street) to meet-up with any riders wishing to join us from that area

Leg 2 (1.5 hrs) - Cheverie via R215 (Glooscap Trail) to Cogmagun Road to Scotch Village R236 to Maitland.

Lunch and visit Frieze & Roy General Store (Canada's Oldest operating General Store - 1839)

Leg 3 (1.25 hrs) - Maitland to Bedford via R215 E to R2.

Rever Ride Link:Click here or on map below
If you don't have the app consider downloading it to your smartphone (Rever Website)) it is free for the "Basic" account and there is a BMWONS Group.

Please remember to be respectful of everyone. That means:

At the Start

• Kickstands up at 9:45 am - show up before to respect everyone's time
  • Full tank of gas
  • Bike ready to ride

During the ride

• Be careful - we'll all be a bit rusty after the winter layoff
  • Ride in a safe formation
  • Staggered formation when the road is good, single when it is not - See Group Riding Etiquette for details - http://bmwons.forumpro.fr/t1744-safe-riding-etiquette-group-riding
  • Do not be constantly weaving in your lane. It is not only distracting but also dangerous for other riders around you having an unpredictable/distracting rider amongst them.
  • Ride aware
  • Don't leave riders behind

Group Riding requires some common courtesies for everyone to have an enjoyable ride. That means you should follow standard protocols for considerate group riding such as:

• Each rider must be aware of their own surrounding and ride accordingly - You are responsible for your own safety
  • Maintain a safe distance between bikes - that changes with speed - too close is unsafe (less than 1-2 seconds in staggered formation) - too far destroys the safety of the group formation (more than 4 seconds) and each riders ability to properly monitor the rider directly in front and behind them.
  • You have a responsibility to your fellow riders
  • Watching the rider in front will warn you of possible issues or changes
  • Watching the rider behind will alert you quickly if they have a problem and are no longer there

If the rider behind you stops, then you stop.
Following this protocol ensures two things. First, that the rider with a problem isn't abandoned and left to their own devices (part of why it is a Group Ride) and second if each person is properly monitoring the rider directly behind them and stops if that rider does, then very quickly the entire group comes to a stop and is able to assist the rider in need.

Most importantly, ride at your own speed and comfort level, and have fun.
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2013-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: BMWONS 2017 Ride #04 - 2017-04-29

Post by r90sLifer on Fri Apr 28, 2017 9:38 pm

Hi Alan,
N.B. All,
First stop isn't Il Porto. This is a misprint and carryover from the Easter weekend (sat) ride. All else in ride description is valid.
Amédée

Number of posts : 765
Registration date : 2007-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sat Apr 29, 2017 11:13 pm

Nice 4th Club ride of the season. The weather was good until some fairly heavy and cold fog along Noel Shore which cleared right around Maitland. Lunch at Frieze & Roy General Store then we had a few sprinkles for a very short time that were no issue and clearer / warmer weather on the leg home.

We started the ride with Dave T, Amédée Aucoin, John E, Bill H, and me. Shereef Elkoshairi joined us in Windsor and rode until Walton when he had to return home. We met up with Larry S. at Frieze & Roy and Larry rode with us until his turn-off to Truro.

That's 770 km of BMWONS Club rides tracked so far for 2017.

The actual ride deviated some in routeing from the planned one but we maintained the stopping points to allow riders to join us where it was convenient for them to do so.

This one, below, is the tracking that Amedee did of the ride. What is really nice about it is that the Rever app allows you to take photos and it places them on the route where they were taken. I like that feature. Check it out by opening up Amedee's tracked ride below and clicking on any of the four embedded photos.

Amedee's tracking of BMWONS 2017 Ride #4
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sun Apr 30, 2017 11:00 am

r90sLifer wrote:Hi Alan,
N.B. All,
First stop isn't Il Porto. This is a misprint and carryover from the Easter weekend (sat) ride. All else in ride description is valid.
Amédée
Thanks, Amedee, I corrected the mistake. Like you said, I did a cut-n-paste and just changed the particulars, but missed that bit until after I'd posted it. Guess if I were smarter, I would setup a template and keep that. ;-)
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sun Apr 30, 2017 8:50 pm

Here's a link to some of the picture Bill took during the ride:

Some of Bill's pictures
Alan Coles