BMWONS newsgroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Oil recommendation

3 posters

Go down

Oil recommendation  Empty Oil recommendation

Post by BeemerD Tue Apr 18, 2017 4:00 pm

Ok, at the risk of starting a long winded oil debate. What is a recommended oil for the 1200 GS LC (that that can be purchased locally)
I am thinking it is 5W-40 mineral. does anyone use 15W-50? I had a tough time getting oil that I wanted for the triumph locally and had to go to Windsor for it.

I realize the MOM recommends the BMW oil but I am not going to Moncton for oil.
BeemerD
BeemerD

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-03-20

Back to top Go down

Oil recommendation  Empty Re: Oil recommendation

Post by r90sLifer Wed Apr 19, 2017 9:51 am

Dave, You should post this on the FB page as some GS riders are more there than here, and might be able the weigh in on this question. I'm not a good one to ask because my gear is older than your brand spanking new GS. BTW, what does LC stand for? A new one on me.

Scratch the definition, I found it = Liquid Cooled.
AA Smile
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by BeemerD Wed Apr 19, 2017 10:36 am

Thanks, I figured I would post it here as I could see it turning into a typical long winded great oil debate which I figured would be more suitable here than on Facebook. (I am sure you have seen those) however the traffic does seem a little slower here.
BeemerD
BeemerD

Number of posts : 7
Registration date : 2017-03-20

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:20 pm

Amedee, the 1200 GS LC refers to the liquid-cooled 1170cc engines. In the case of the GS that's 2013+
There are a number of acronyms being used but what appears to be slowly becoming the standard is the letter W after the model such as R1200 GSW or R1200 RTW to differentiate from the R1200 engines from 2004/5 to 2013/4. I know the 2004 / 2005 (2004/5) confuses things, but that's BMW's fault. They introduced the engine change to the 1200 in 2004 for the GS, and then for the rest of the line in 2005. Same thing in 2013 and 2014.

Dave, what you want for your bike is:
BMW R1200 Liquid-Cooled Riders Manual 2014 wrote:SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (e.g. on a molybdenum basis) are not permitted, as
they will attack coated engine components, BMW Motorrad recommends Castrol Power 1 Racing 4T SAE 5W-40, API SL/JASO MA2

BMW R1200 Liquid-Cooled Riders Manual 2015 wrote:SAE 5W-40, API SL / JASO MA2, additives (e.g. on a molybdenum basis) are not permitted, as
they will attack coated engine components, BMW Motorrad recommends BMW Motorrad ADVANTEC Ultimate Oil

You want a synthetic motorcycle oil (they're designed to work with a wet-clutch) that is a 5W40. Amsoil, Mobil-1, Motul, Shell, etc., are all good. Main thing is a JASO MA2 oil. Not all JASO MA2 compliant oils (Amsoil - which will work fine) carry the designation as it costs money to do that. If you can't find 5W-40 you can always use 10W-40, just make sure it is "Motorcycle" oil, as it is designed to not mess up your wet-clutch.
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Wed Apr 19, 2017 6:41 pm

Dave, I just remembered that you could also consider running Shell Rotella T6 5W-40. I'd be comfortable running it. Some of the Spec labels identify that it is MA others say MA2 and others say MA/MA2, but they're all the same oil and additive package and will work fine in the new engines.

From Shell's website - wrote:OEM Specifications and Approvals for Shell ROTELLA® T6 full synthetic heavy duty engine oil
API: CK-4, CJ-4, CI-4 PLUS, CI-4, CH-4
ACEA E9; JASO DH-2; Cummins CES 20086; Volvo VDS-4.5; Detroit Fluid Specification (DFS) 93K222, Caterpillar ECF-2/ECF-3, MAN M3575, JASO MA/MA2, Allison TES 439, MB-Approval 228.31

Dave, I just went to my garage and looked at my 5L jug of it that I got from Canadian Tire and it is JASO MA/MA2 compliant.
http://www.canadiantire.ca/en/pdp/shell-rotella-t6-synthetic-diesel-motor-oil-5-l-0287935p.html#srp
Oil recommendation  T610
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Permissions in this forum:
You cannot reply to topics in this forum