Navigation - POIs and Route files

View previous topic View next topic Go down

Navigation - POIs and Route files

Post by Alan Coles on Mon Apr 10, 2017 4:29 pm

I'm going to try and setup this thread to deal with POIs (Points of Interest) and Route files for people to download onto the GPS. These will be done in the BMW (Garmin) file formats (GPI = POI files and GPX = Route files).

I believe POIs can be loaded to your Garmin using POI Loader (free Garmin app) - Link to Garmin download page

However, the one I use is different as I find the Garmin app too limited in its abilities. I use the TomTom-based app Tyre to Travel downloaded here: Tyre download page

Here is the first one - BMWONS - POI v1.07:

File removed due to it not working properly - I will place the coordinates and other data in a post below - Sorry

New and potential members can benefit from this POI file as it is a listing the main points that BMWONS uses for meets, stopping/meeting points on rides, etc.

I will add to it as folks provide suggestions, hence the version number.

The points included in this file are:

• AGM (location of our most recent AGMs)
  • Atlantic Motoplex (BMW Dealership for this region)
  • Bluenose Rally
  • Thursday Meets 6pm (Chickenburger)
  • Tims - Bedford Common (typical starting point for most group rides)
  • Tims - Coldbrook (stopover spot on rides to the Valley)
  • Tims - Hubley Center (Meeting spot for most South Shore rides)
  • Tims - Windsor (stopover spot to connect with Valley riders for some rides)

I will try to do a few route files as well in the future for those interested in these things. Many of our senior members know our roads like the back of their hand and have absolutely no need nor interest in these things, but some may as much out of curiosity as anything else. For those not familiar with many of Nova Scotia's great riding roads, I will try to collect routes from our senior members and re-create them in GPX format so that everyone can enjoy them.

Please give it a try and let me know if the download works and if you're able to load and use the POIs (this is still a learning curve for me, but I'd like to build some tools for our newer members).

Last edited by Alan Coles on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:59 pm; edited 1 time in total
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2013-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: Navigation - POIs and Route files

Post by Alan Coles on Mon Jul 03, 2017 5:55 pm

Sorry, but the POI file doesn't appear to be working properly. Some folks haven't been able to get it to load so I've removed it and will try something else. I got it to work initially but now it doesn't want to cooperate. Sorry.

Alan Coles

Number of posts : 530
Registration date : 2013-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top