Post by r90sLifer on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:23 am

Glad you guys are having a great ride. Smile

Number of posts : 765
Registration date : 2007-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: MOA Rally in New York

Post by Alan Coles on Wed Jul 13, 2016 9:21 am

Raoul, Shereef and I rode Mt. Washington yesterday. Leaving Saratoga Spings shortly to get to the Rally and setup the BMWONS banner before the storm arrives.
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 522
Registration date : 2013-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Corkum on Wed Jul 13, 2016 5:47 pm

Drove around rally site. Amazing amount of BMW bikes and people. At Hyatt in Buffalo now enjoying AC comfort. Will head to rally in AM. Alan can you post here where you guys are setting up at rally please. Cheers.

Ken Corkum

Number of posts : 12
Registration date : 2015-05-23

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raoufhakam on Wed Jul 13, 2016 6:03 pm

Shereef and i will be thete in avout 30 minutes

raoufhakam

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Wed Jul 13, 2016 7:47 pm

Raoul, Shereef and I rode Mt. Washington yesterday. Leaving Saratoga Spings shortly to get to the Rally and setup the BMWONS banner before the storm arrives.

GPS coordinates for the campsite are:
N 42^44.015'
W 078^ 49.236'
Ted and I will be heading over to there later to setup the BMWONS banner with Raouf and Shereef.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Wed Jul 13, 2016 8:05 pm

Put the campsite coordinates in the post above by mistake.

It's been a long ride. A good one, but added to the past several weeks activities, things are accumulating. ;-)
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by victoryguy on Thu Jul 14, 2016 2:17 pm

Well ken camped the first night after around 900 plus klm day, said its very hot down there

Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool Cool
victoryguy

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2013-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Thu Jul 14, 2016 7:38 pm

Yesterday we saw 96 F +, very uncomfortable. The faster you went it was like turning up the fan speed on a hair dryer. :-(

Cooler this morning but hot this afternoon.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Corkum on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:34 pm

Had an awesome day at the rally. So much to see and learn. Looked all
over for the NS gang but never saw anyone. Maybe tomorrow we will cross paths. Friends from Florida here tonight. Heading out for dinner soon.

Ken Corkum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by raoufhakam on Thu Jul 14, 2016 8:50 pm

We (Shereef and I) and camping on the second row after the RV's just to the right of the telephone lines, on 2 small blue tents with Shereef's K1300 and my VFR parked next to them, roughly across from the big tent of the Chicago BMW club

raoufhakam

Number of posts : 8
Registration date : 2016-01-06

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:43 pm

Sorry Ken, I think the winds were too severe for Shereef to put up the BMWONS banner. Don't know if you heard about Wunderlich outdoor both or not but it got destroyed on Wednesday evening, broken glass, toppled bikes, etc.

Unfortunately, Raouf's bike was also damaged. One of the awning shelters that a Finger Lakes Club member was using got swept up by the wind, poles and all and took out Raouf's windscreen, a couple of pieces of his fairing and I believe his light switch. Very unfortunate.

I was at the Rev'It display when part of it started to blow away. We had to use bungee cords to secure some of it.

The winds were kind of strange in that it seemed reasonably calm most of the time and then a sudden gust would create problems. Some folks were saying it was a Great Lakes effect that was part of the issue.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Ken Corkum on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:54 pm

Yes I saw some of the damaged displays and heard about the crazy winds. Too bad about his damage. I left Cobourg, ON this morning am in Bangor for the night. Home tomorrow afternoon. Rally was great. Too bad we never crossed paths. Cheers.

Ken Corkum

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sun Jul 17, 2016 10:56 pm

Shereef and Raouf left for Halifax yesterday morning and Ted Cymbaly and I left this morning.

I got a phone call from Shereef, perhaps 20 minutes after I headed out this morning. They rode from Hamburg, NY yesterday to The Canaan Motel and were on their way to Halifax but had rain. Shereef can expand when he gets caught up with the work he had to leave early for.

Ted headed out for his very short trip to Toronto and I headed East with an eye on the weather. Rode cross-country-country to Lake Placid today and plan on doing the same to Bangor tomorrow. Will head out before or by 7am to try and avoid the rain coming here around 8am and get into Bangor before the rain and thunderstorm that's supposed to hit Bangor by 3pm tomorrow. Trying to slip between weather systems is definitely tricky but it has introduced me to some nice back-roads that I wouldn't have seen otherwise. ;-)
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sun Jul 17, 2016 11:11 pm

Funny how that goes. Never got to connect with my friends from Southern Maine at the Rally either. Met others that that I hadn't seen since the R90S 40th Anniversary Rally two years ago, and others that I'd tried to connect with in Halifax a few weeks ago, but sometimes things go like that.

Just got off the phone with Ted Cymbaly, he made it home fine and had a reasonably quick border crossing.

Ride safe Ken and I hope you can dodge the worst of the rain and thunderstorms.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sat Sep 03, 2016 2:03 pm

The 2016 September issue of BMW Owners News has a good photo article of Das Rally starting on page 56.
Click Here and go to page 56

This picture from page 63 of the article shows the fellow who received the award for being the oldest person to ride to the event. Unfortunately, I'm now too old to remember his name or age (91 seems to ring a bell, but I could be wrong).
You can just see Ted Cymbaly and me at the top right of the photo here  about 1/4 way in from the right both wearing blue hats.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by r90sLifer on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:36 am

Almost as cool as being spotted on Google maps Smile

Number of posts : 765
Registration date : 2007-11-18

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Sat Sep 10, 2016 9:46 am

Almost. Wink
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Das Rally

Post by Alan Coles on Sun Sep 11, 2016 9:31 pm

Ted Cymbaly sent some pictures of us and the Rally today.

The Three Musketeers waiting to eat. Not that I needed to do anywhere near as much of that as I typically do. :-0

The Musketeers again, making sure the bikes are safe. Raouf wondered if anyone would complain if he put his bike inside the room!

Ted and me. We were fine with our bikes spending the night outside the room.

Shereef, I'm in your corner, I'm sure you can eat it all.

Shereef, looking like he's thinking -
What was I thinking listening to Alan, perhaps I shouldn't have ordered everything I wanted for lunch, there's still lots of riding to do.

Ted's K100RS at Das Rally

Camping space was quite open when we arrived on Wednesday afternoon.

It started to fill up later that day.

The big white tent structure in the back is the beer tent, where I spent a reasonable amount of time, but not near as much as I though I would. Too many other things to do and see.

Waiting for the Closing Ceremonies to begin.

The gray beards. ;-)
Approximately 90 years of riding between us, guess we'll have to do the math and do another Rally together the year we'll have a combined 100 years of riding.

This was Ted's first distance ride on his bike and it only had one issue with a side panel not staying put and a very over-optimistic speedo.

Ready to head home. My trusty ride carried me to and from with great comfort, some high speeds, a spirited ride and all @ a frugal 4.9L/100km! (57.65 mpg-Imp / 48 mpg-US) Still sipping away at 5L/100km.
I've got a 1,200km ride coming up this week, mostly back roads at speed so we'll see if that holds.
I bought a Touratec 41L Dry Bag to carry my stock seat home (along with a few other purchases) while I rode on the new Sargent seat. The stock seat on the RTW is perhaps the best stock seat I've ever ridden on but my old back needs all the help it can get, especially where this is my first bike to has a longer range than I do.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 2 of 2 Previous  1, 2

View previous topic View next topic Back to top