BMWONS newsgroup
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Nothing like an old airhead - bike that is

3 posters

Go down

Nothing like an old airhead - bike that is Empty Nothing like an old airhead - bike that is

Post by Alan Coles Sat Nov 14, 2015 5:10 pm

Just got back from my brother's garage where my two airheads ('75 R90S and '86 R80RT) have unfortunately been sitting virtually completely neglected this entire year. Only had each out twice this year and neither since June due to a lot of travel, some more medical issues, etc.

They've both been covered, but that's it. No chargers, or anything else. Both started right up and settled into nice idles shortly there after. Later this week I'll take each out for a final run, change the oil, put anti-seize on the exhaust nuts, put Sta-bil in the tanks and return them to hibernation under their respective covers.

Hopefully, next year I'll be able to ride the R90S a lot more. I'll be selling the R80RT (will advertise it in the spring) as I'm in the process of buying another Norton that I just couldn't say no to and I've got someone who's wanting me to buy their R100RS which, again is a very hard bike to ignore. I think I'm on my way to digging a very big hole that Anna might just shove me into and fill over.

Anyway, I can't say how delighted I was when I went over with tools in hand to pull the batteries on both bikes and charge them up as I felt the bikes had sat for so long that if there was any charge left they'd still be too hard to start, and to have both bikes start right up was a pure delight. Can't wait to put a few miles on the R90S next week.
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 627
Registration date : 2013-03-31

Back to top Go down

Nothing like an old airhead - bike that is Empty Re: Nothing like an old airhead - bike that is

Post by r90sLifer Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:02 am

Your bikes are actually coming to life saying 'I wanna ride, come on let's go'.
Ha Ha Smile
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Nothing like an old airhead - bike that is Empty Re: Nothing like an old airhead - bike that is

Post by Alan Coles Mon Nov 16, 2015 8:15 am

I agree.
I'm around Thursday so I think I'll take the R90S for its year-end run, change the oil, etc, and see you at Chicken Burger. ;-)
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Post by beemerbike Tue Nov 17, 2015 5:53 pm

Don't forget to put a bit of oil in the cylinders,and plug your muffler ends and air filter inlets.

beemerbike

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by r90sLifer Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:29 pm

Good advise Beemerbike.
I also found this list that is a lot similar except I don't know If I'd opt for WD40 in the cylinders. Couldn't hurt I suppose.
Have a gander at this list of storage tips:
https://rideapart.com/articles/how-to-prep-your-motorcycle-for-winter-storage

Any other tips out there? Let's hear them.
Smile

Amédée
r90sLifer
r90sLifer

Number of posts : 779
Registration date : 2007-11-18

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Wed Nov 18, 2015 3:40 pm

I've got a couple similar lists that I refer to each fall. I'll try to dig them up this evening and perhaps we can get all of it vetted by a few of our most experienced members and then we could post the consolidated list as a "sticky" for everyone's benefit.
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Post by beemerbike Wed Nov 18, 2015 5:02 pm

I usually pour 20cc of the motorcycle oil I am using into each cylinder the then spin the engine .This coats the walls of the cylinders to prevent seizing or corrosion during prolonged storage periods.Through out the winter I will spin the engine.A little smokey in the spring when first put back into service.The frame and casings are usually sprayed with Rust Check or WD-40,be careful not to contaminate bearing and brake surfaces.A bit of preventative maintenance pays off in longevity.

beemerbike

Number of posts : 42
Registration date : 2007-11-22

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles Wed Nov 18, 2015 7:48 pm

Here's another list for winter prep:
http://www.clarity.net/adam/winter-storage.html

beemerbike wrote:...The frame and casings are usually sprayed with Rust Check or WD-40,be careful not to contaminate bearing and brake surfaces...
Thanks Ken. Have you tried Boeshield T-9 instead of WD-40 and Rust Check?
Boeing developed it for aircraft storage and I find it works very well. It creates a thin wax film that is easy to remove but very protective and doesn't attract dust like the others. Also it won't turn to an oily or gummy residue over time.
Only place I've found it locally is Lee Valley.
Alan Coles
Alan Coles

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down