40th Anniversary R90S Rally

View previous topic View next topic Go down

40th Anniversary R90S Rally

Post by Alan Coles on Tue Jan 07, 2014 6:56 pm

Thought I'd pass this info along. Amedee has attended at least one or two R90S Rallies in the past. I've registered to go to this one.

This year marks the 40th Anniversary of the BMW R90S motorcycle (model years 1974-1976).

There is a very significant 40th Anniversary R90S Rally being held in Bucks County, PA, from June 20-22 2014, to commemorate the bike. It is restricted to the first 100 R90S owners that register, and at last count was already over 80 registered. There was a large one in Europe last year to celebrate the 40 years of production (1973-1976), but this one in the US stands to out do that with it's special guests, and bring together the creators of the bike.

As you know, it is one of the seminal motorcycles of the post-war era, claimed to be the first “Superbike”, having won the first AMA Superbike Championship Series, Daytona, etc., in 1976. The Rally organizer, Todd Trumbore, has put together an impressive line-up of significant individuals giving talks at this event is spectacular (these are the major ones):

Bob Lutz - What many don’t know is that the R90S bike owes its existence to a great American car guy, namely, Bob Lutz. I don’t need to tell you or Jay of the phenomenal influence Bob has had on automobiles, from being responsible for bringing the 3-Series BMW to being while Exec. VP BMW, to his time at Ford, Chrysler, and finally back to GM and the re-setting of GM’s performance mindset. Bob was the person who planted the seed for the R90S within BMW, nurtured it and fought back the bean-counters to ensure it happened.

Hans Muth – BMW’s first dedicated motorcycle designer. In addition to the ground-breaking R90S, he went on to create significant designs such as the R100RS, R80GS, the Suzuki Katana, and many others.
Udo Giebl – Moved from Germany to Flodia as a child after WWII and worked with NASA. Team Manager of the Butler & Smith R90S AMA Superbike Champions, hired by Honda Racing after that and took them to Superbike dominance as well in the 70’s-80’s. Udo then went on to racing cars for 9 years, and then designed his own 56ft racing sail boat that dominated racing in the 1980’s in Southern California.

Tony Karas – The host of the event, Tony will open his vintage car and motorcycle barn museum to attendees.

Ted Cymbaly – An R90S enthusiast and author, Ted is president of the Classic Katana Owners of North America.

Ray Blade – Ray is the recently retired SVP of Honda Motorcycles USA and is very well known and highly regarded in the motorcycle world for all of his accomplishments.

Some here may remember Ted. He lived in Windsor and Dartmouth in the 70's and bought his 1974 R90S new from Chuck Sweet, and has just completed a $10,000 restoration of the bike.  Shocked 

He used to ride with the Apple Valley Riders, Tony Mason, John Pineo, etc. Ted is the person I called on to look at my R90S in Toronto, before I bought it last month. He now has a total of 55 bikes, Twisted Evil and tells me his wife left him around bike 20, and he hasn't had to ask permission for anything since. 
 lol! 

Obviously, Hans will be flying in from Germany, but Udo and Ray are currently discussing riding their R90S’ cross-country from California to PA for the Rally (we have at least a half dozen doing this). Udo’s is his one-off highly modified mono-level race R90S, while Ray’s, like Ted Cymbaly’s, is an original owner 1974 R90S.
Alan Coles

Number of posts : 546
Registration date : 2013-03-31

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Re: 40th Anniversary R90S Rally

Post by victoryguy on Wed Jan 08, 2014 1:57 pm

Nice picture of the new ride by the way....
victoryguy

Number of posts : 448
Registration date : 2013-04-05

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:26 pm

Thanks John, I'm really going a bit stir crazy not being able to ride it.

Just had a very dangerous thought about 20 minutes ago of shipping it to Florida, as I fly down there on the 25th. for vacation and was re-checking my rental car reservation. However, I know only too well that it would never get past Anna, we get off the plane, pickup the rental car, drive straight north to Cocoa Beach to visit friends, overnight there, next day drive back down and across FL to Ft. Myers and overnight there 1-2 nights, then drive back across FL to Delray Beach and sober up. That only leaves us 4 days till our cruise and we've got 3 of those evenings in Delray and Ft Lauderdale already locked-in for going out to dinner with friends and family.

Think I'll have to ride it or the RT down next fall so I've got the ability to ride in the winter.  Cool
I'll have to scout out friends places where perhaps I can keep a bike down there and take a little extra time next winter to go riding. Only problem with Florida is that it is mostly all flat and straight roads with minimal turns in the central to southern part of the state.
Here's a thought - if I keep it in Cocoa Beach, that's only 8 hours ride to the southern part of the Blue Ridge Mountains. Very Happy cheers
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by victoryguy on Wed Jan 08, 2014 2:44 pm

Yes sounds fun we have 3 bikes in Ft Myers, and 1 in Anna Maire Island area

so i hope to get down there went to Daytona last year it was fun
victoryguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Wed Jan 29, 2014 6:30 pm

Even more interesting news on the upcoming Rally.

From the Rally Chairman, Todd Trumbore:
-----------------------------------------------
40th Anniversary R90S Celebration
19-22 June 2014
Buckingham, Bucks County, PA. USA

IMPORTANT UPDATE:  #163

I am extremely honored and happy to announce,Three Time AMA Superbike Champion, Including the 1976 Superbike Championship aboard a Tricked-Out Daytona R90S,...  #163, Reg Pridmore will be joining Hans A. Muth, Udo Gietl and Robert A. Lutz as our team of special guests.

I just had a very satisfying conversation with Reg Pridmore and he confirmed that he will be joining us this June for our anniversary celebration.  This news certainly warmed my spirits and took some of the chill out of our Arctic Blast of recent days.  

Reg will be bringing some 22"x18" posters (see below) showing his winning form at Laguna Seca in 1976 for a signing session along with some entertaining conversations about the R90S racing program and his racing career.  
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by victoryguy on Thu Jan 30, 2014 9:35 am

Cant see the poster ?
victoryguy

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Thu Jan 30, 2014 10:47 am

John, I'm still out of the country and I can't seem to copy it from my phone, so I've forwarded a copy of it to you. Let me know if you get it.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Wed May 28, 2014 8:59 pm

Update on the R90S Rally

Gary Fisher and Todd Schuster are now planning on attending also.  Gary, like Pridmore was one of the 3 team racers for the BMW team that won the first ever Superbike Championship. Todd was the master frame building wizard who worked his magic to allow  the bikes to use all their power. Gary Fisher qualified beside Kenny Roberts (on a TZ750 - 40hp more than Fischer's BMW) at the 1975 Laguna Seca national. The BMW's were consistently able to qualify with and often beat the early TZ750s !

Plus Max BMW's R90S built from 99% BMW Catalog parts, an R-Nine-T (currently as scarce as hens teeth), etc.

Tentative Schedule of Events: (this is a sneak - per-published copy)

Thursdays......Out of Town arrivals,  Meet and Greet, Chili and Brats around the Campfire

Friday:

7:00a.... Coffee and Donuts/Danish

8:00.......Announcements

8:15.......Robert A. Lutz's DVD film presentations

8:30.......Hans A. Muth, presentation and autographs

10:30.....Udo Gietl, presentation/ autographs

12:30.....Lunch Available

1:00p.....Gary Fisher, presentation/autographs

3:00.......Reg Pridmore, presentation/autographs

6:00.......Dinner by Master Chef Alphons Schuhbeck or equivalent

8:00.......Slide Presentation by Ted Cymbaly, Movies, etc.

10:00.....Camping by the Campfire

Saturday:

7:00a......Coffee and Donuts/Danish

9:00........Announcements

9:15........Robert A. Lutz, DVD film presentation

9:30........Panel Discussion with:
............................................. Hans A. Muth
............................................. Udo Gietl
............................................. Reg Pridmore
............................................. Gary Fisher
............................................. Todd Schuster
Moderated by Moto Journalist & Editor of Motorcyclist Magazine, Mitch Boehm.  Followed by Autograph Session

12:00......Lunch Available

12:30p...."Covered Bridges of Bucks County Ride", marked, self guided tour of historic & scenic Bucks County

3:00........Tech Session by Karl Myers, soup to nuts tune-up procedure, bring your notepads

6:00........Bavarian Dinner

7:30........Door Prizes, Awards, 50/50 Raffle & Thank-yous

8:00........Live Band

10:00......Tall Tales Around the Campfire

Some other attractions:

..F750 Butler & Smith race bike built by Udo and raced by Reg Pridmore

..Max Stratton's R90S built by parts bike

..R-Nine-T bike provided by Hermy's BMW, local dealer

..Udo's back-up R90S Superbike, snatched from the scrap heap, struck by several disasters, but saved and resurrected to live another day and preserved for all vintage enthusiasts to enjoy

..Tony Karas' wonderful Barn Museum filled with rare vintage motorbikes and motorcars including the first R90S designated for the USA....yes, Vin 4950001

Sunday:

7:00a......Coffee, Donuts & Danish, Packing Up the Tents, Handshakes & Farewells

We have expanded our capacity, so there are a limited number of tickets available for this event.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Alan Coles on Mon Jun 09, 2014 1:59 pm

This event just keeps getting better and better!  cheers

Kurt Liebmann, will be attending. He is a former:

• BMW Factory Racer Munich
  • Butler & Smith contract Racer
  • Canadian National Champion on BMW Rennsport "OL Special"
  • First AMA Winner on BMW 1972 Pocono
  • Multi Time AAMRR Champion on BMW Rennsport & R90S
  • Top AMA SuperBike & Pro Twins racer, on BMW R90S & Reno Leoni Ducati & AMOL Ducati
  • Factory Supported Honda Rider
  • Family Owner of AMOL Precision, AMERICA"s First BMW Dealer in the USA and major Ducati dealer/racer.

Also, there will now be 3 posters available at this event.  Reg Pridmore is bringing a stack of posters that he will autograph showing his winning form at Laguna Seca in 1976. Hans Muth forwarded 2 sketches of what the R90S would look like today if he were to designing a 2014 model.  These have been reproduced into one poster, and finally, highly acclaimed artist/illustrator,John Ritter created a wonderful commemorative anniversary poster design that has been printed and reproduced in poster format.
Alan Coles

View user profile

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

View previous topic View next topic Back to top